ABC7 Traffic Center
Retailers offering deals during Carmageddon
SHERMAN OAKS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Retailers in the valley are hoping locals will seek a little retail refuge during the closure of the 405 Freeway.
They're trying to convince consumers that the closure could also be an opportunity to score some deals and save some money. But will bargains be enough to get people to venture out during that time?
Juliet Mothershed, marketing director at Westfield Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks, says the mall is planning giveaways, discounts and even free valet parking in hopes of getting locals to shop locally.
"This is a great way to thank customers for being local shoppers," she said.
Some shoppers think it's a good idea.
"It's a benefit for everyone in your own respective neighborhood," said Kenneth Towsend of Sherman Oaks.
But others feel like saving a few dollars won't make up for what could be complete gridlock.
"Will it be enough to go through the hassle of the road rage during the 405 and also, will a sale be a car accident? You kind of have to make that a balance," said Toni Postell of North Hollywood.
Nancy Hoffman, CEO of the San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce, said some retailers are offering special 405 discounts, like offering some things for $40.50, $4 or $5 for appetizers to go with the theme.
The 53-hour closure begins at 7 p.m. Friday and ends at 6 a.m. Monday.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, medical emergency, lapd, los angeles city fire department, abc7 traffic center, robert holguin
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 6 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)