ABC7 Traffic Center
Stores come up with creative 405 discounts during Carmageddon
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- The expected traffic nightmare known as Carmageddon is just three days away, and businesses are getting ready.
Shops from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Monica will be affected when a major part of the 405 Freeway closes from the 10 to the 101 freeways, starting late Friday to early Monday.
Business owners are using the shutdown to come up with creative ways to attract local customers.
For example, O'Neill, a sportswear store located at the corner of 2nd Street and Broadway in Santa Monica, is offering a 40.5 percent off sale to keep up with the theme. The store had its grand opening recently, so it's hoping to attract people who live nearby.
On the other side of the hill, the Westfield Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks is also offering sales and free valet parking to attract local customers.
"Others are coming up with special 4-0-5 discounts. We have people that are offering things for $40.50, $4 or $5 for appetizers and different things to go with the theme," said Nancy Hoffman of the San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce.
On the other hand, many owners have opted to avoid the hassle by closing their stores that weekend.
The 53-hour closure begins at 7 p.m. Friday and ends at 6 a.m. Monday.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, medical emergency, lapd, los angeles city fire department, abc7 traffic center, carlos granda
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 13 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 1 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 37 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 46 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 1 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
28 min ago