ABC7 Traffic Center
LAFD to increase staff by 200 for Carmageddon
BEVERLY GLEN, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Fire Department is planning on staffing an additional 200 firefighters and paramedics this weekend so they can quickly respond to 911 calls around the areas affected by the closure of the San Diego (405) Freeway.
"We have fire stations in those areas and we want to be able to respond to any type of emergency should it occur," Los Angeles Fire Capt. Alicia Mathis said.
The LAFD will also add 15 fire engines and six ambulances to be staged at some of the mountain fire stations.
Fire Station 99 on Mulholland Drive in Beverly Glen will receive an additional five fire engines.
Mathis said if a fire or other emergency happens in the canyons, the additional traffic could make a bad situation much more dangerous.
"Stay off the mountain roads, stay away from the 405, stay off the Sepulveda Pass. Neighbors that live in the area should have parties at their homes so they can walk to friends," she said.
Mathis said they will have brush patrol units monitoring all hillsides in the area during Carmageddon.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, medical emergency, los angeles city fire department, abc7 traffic center, john hartung
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate