ABC7 Traffic Center
Construction timeline for Mulholland bridge demolition during Carmageddon - 405 freeway closure
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Get a basic timeline for how construction crews will proceed with the partial Mulholland Drive bridge demolition during Carmageddon - the 405 freeway closure - the weekend of July 16-17, 2011.
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Dave Sotero says the demolition of the south lanes of the Mulholland Drive bridge will be a highly-choreographed process. The contractor will take down portions of the bridge a little at a time.
7 p.m.: Caltrans will gradually close the on-and off-ramps of the 405 in both directions between the 10 and the 101 freeways.
10 p.m.: Crews will close lanes on the 405.
Midnight: The 10-mile stretch will be completely shut down. That's when workers begin trucking in tons of dirt to cover the freeway beneath the bridge with a 4-foot-deep cushion.
2 a.m.: Crews start slicing the Mulholland bridge in half lengthwise with a huge, diamond-bladed saw.
5 a.m.: The real demolition begins when crews bring in four hoe rams (which are giant, jackhammer vehicles).
2 a.m.: Demolition of bridge should be complete. Debris and dirt from freeway will be removed.
5 a.m.: The lanes of the 405 will re-open.
6 a.m.: All the surrounding on- and off-ramps will re-open.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
I-405 closure, carmageddon, construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour