ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon: Sherman Oaks Galleria readies
SHERMAN OAKS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- He said it before, and he said it again: "Stay the hell off the 405," Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Koretz said Wednesday.
Koretz, along with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, held a news conference to warn drivers about the closure of the 405.
The Galleria sits right next to where the 405 and 101 freeways meet, the northern point of the closure and an area most drivers will want to avoid this weekend when the 405 closes.
Still, mall management is anticipating business as usual - if not better than usual - this Saturday and Sunday.
The lure of the ArcLight cinema is one reason: air conditioned theaters featuring the latest movies. Plus, free parking all weekend could be a draw, topped off with two-for-one drink specials and free food samples being offered by some restaurants in the mall.
But not everyone is sold.
"We're not leaving the house," said Sandy Johnson of Encino. "We're walking in the neighborhood and staying at home laying out."
The Galleria is also home to la fitness. For some members who want to keep fit, they'll find a way to get here other than drive.
"I'm going to walk down or bike ride down," said David Yashar of Sherman Oaks.
Saturday is the busiest day at the Paul Mitchell training school in the Galleria, but students here will be given the option of staying home.
However, the salon will be open for business this weekend, but they will not be scheduling any appointments.
"On that day we will be allowing people to walk in anytime and we'll be there to provide the services for them," said Stella Davis, director at the school.
Management at the Galleria are calling it the "I Survived Carmageddon Weekend" celebration.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center, leslie miller
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 35 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 9 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 22 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 16 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'