ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmaggedon demolition project set to begin
SEPULVEDA PASS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With just one day to go until one of the biggest freeway closures in state history, Caltrans is working hard, making sure everything goes off without a hitch. Final preparations are under way for Friday night's 405 Freeway closure.
A 10-mile stretch of the road will be shut down between the 10 and the 101 freeways.
There is a caravan of excavators and earth-movers standing by. The plan is to roll them in overnight Thursday so they'll be in place Friday morning to work on the Mulholland Drive bridge.
"It is going very smoothly, all the stuff's coming in. We're starting to assemble all the parts and pieces," said Dan Kulka, Kiewit Infrastructure Group.
Kiewit, which heads the operation, rolled in heavy equipment overnight. But 20 more huge pieces are due in Thursday night. Their transport has been timed to avoid the heavy rush-hour traffic
"[A hoe ram] is just a giant jackhammer hydraulically operated, so we have several of those coming in. That is sort of the centerpiece of the demolition," said Kulka.
All set are the dirt piles that will be spread out to protect the pavement from falling chunks. The target zone for that hoe ram is marked and ready.
"You can see some hash marks there. We have already prepared the demolition there. We have cut the steel can around there in preparation for peeling that off," said Kulka. "That column and the super-structure above that column is what we're demolishing."
"We're feeling very confident that we will meet our commitment to the community and open the freeway at 5 o'clock in the morning. We'll open the ramps and the bridge itself at 6 o'clock in the morning," said Kulka.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center, elex michaelson
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event