ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmaggedon demolition project set to begin
SEPULVEDA PASS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With just one day to go until one of the biggest freeway closures in state history, Caltrans is working hard, making sure everything goes off without a hitch. Final preparations are under way for Friday night's 405 Freeway closure.
A 10-mile stretch of the road will be shut down between the 10 and the 101 freeways.
There is a caravan of excavators and earth-movers standing by. The plan is to roll them in overnight Thursday so they'll be in place Friday morning to work on the Mulholland Drive bridge.
"It is going very smoothly, all the stuff's coming in. We're starting to assemble all the parts and pieces," said Dan Kulka, Kiewit Infrastructure Group.
Kiewit, which heads the operation, rolled in heavy equipment overnight. But 20 more huge pieces are due in Thursday night. Their transport has been timed to avoid the heavy rush-hour traffic
"[A hoe ram] is just a giant jackhammer hydraulically operated, so we have several of those coming in. That is sort of the centerpiece of the demolition," said Kulka.
All set are the dirt piles that will be spread out to protect the pavement from falling chunks. The target zone for that hoe ram is marked and ready.
"You can see some hash marks there. We have already prepared the demolition there. We have cut the steel can around there in preparation for peeling that off," said Kulka. "That column and the super-structure above that column is what we're demolishing."
"We're feeling very confident that we will meet our commitment to the community and open the freeway at 5 o'clock in the morning. We'll open the ramps and the bridge itself at 6 o'clock in the morning," said Kulka.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center, elex michaelson
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour