ABC7 Traffic Center
110 Freeway shooting injures driver; gunman sought
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- A 21-year-old man was hit by gunfire while driving on the northbound 110 Freeway near the 405 Freeway in Carson Thursday afternoon.
California Highway Patrol officials said the car-to-car shooting occurred at about 2:45 p.m. as the victim was driving home to Placentia. It appeared the gunman was aiming for the man's head, but he instead struck him in the ear. Still, the victim was able to call 911.
"The story we got from the victim is he dropped off his girlfriend at Harbor College, was driving northbound on the 110 Freeway and heard a loud bang. [He] felt a pain and immediately pulled over and called 911. It was that quick," said CHP Sgt. Dave Nelms.
The man, identified as Tran Ngyen Anh Linh, was hospitalized at UCLA-Harbor Medical Center with moderate injuries, according to officials. Linh remains hospitalized in stable condition.
Authorities were on-scene for about three hours. One lane of the freeway was closed. The incident appeared to be a random act of violence and not a targeted hit, according to the CHP. Police said it appeared only one shot was fired. Linh's vehicle, a black late-model Honda coupe, was processed for evidence.
There was no description of the suspect or the vehicle, but a manhunt was under way. Authorities are hoping to track down witnesses to help nab the suspect.
Anyone with information was asked to call the CHP South Los Angeles Office at (310) 516-3355.
traffic delay, california highway patrol, shooting, abc7 traffic center, leslie miller
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- Stroke recognition crucial for quick...
52 min ago