ABC7 Traffic Center
405 Freeway 'Ramp Jam' roadways closed for three months
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Saturday is the first full day of the long-dreaded construction project known as "Ramp Jam." The first phase began Friday night.
The first phase of the project known as "Ramp Jam" is expected to last about three months. The first ramps to close will be the northbound I-405 on-ramp from westbound Wilshire Boulevard, and the westbound Wilshire Boulevard off-ramp from the northbound I-405.
The year-long reconstruction project will tear down and rebuild all eight of Wilshire Boulevard's on- and off-ramps to the 405 Freeway as part of a billion-dollar improvements project. Crews will also add a carpool lane on the freeway.
"We are going to have extreme congestion in this area. If you can eliminate any discretionary trips, that's obviously going to keep you out of harm's way. There's no easy solution. We can't really snap our fingers and make traffic disappear, so if you can possibly avoid the area, that's what we advise," said MTA spokesperson Dave Sotero.
There was a back-up Saturday but local residents say they are more anxious about what will happen during the Monday morning and afternoon commutes.
- Westbound Wilshire Boulevard on-ramp to the northbound I-405: Drivers are encouraged to travel northbound on Sepulveda Boulevard to access the Moraga Drive on-ramp, or travel southbound on Sepulveda Boulevard to access the Santa Monica Boulevard on-ramp.
- Northbound I-405 off-ramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard: Motorists should exit the freeway using the Santa Monica Boulevard off-ramp, then head northbound on Sepulveda Boulevard to Wilshire Boulevard.
As an alternative, drivers traveling northbound on the I-405 and westbound on the 10 Freeway will be directed to exit at Bundy Drive to reach their westbound Wilshire Boulevard destinations.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, abc7 traffic center, darsha philips
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 30 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 41 min ago
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 7 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 40 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 34 min ago
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler