ABC7 Traffic Center
405 Freeway 'Ramp Jam' sees first Monday commuters
WESTWOOD (KABC) -- Drivers got their first look Monday at how "Ramp Jam" will affect their commute in West Los Angeles in the coming months.
The I-405 North off ramp to westbound Wilshire and the westbound Wilshire on ramp to the I-405 North were among the first closures to plague drivers. Those ramps will be closed for the next three months.
Suggested detours for the closures included exiting Santa Monica Boulevard and taking it to Sepulveda Boulevard to get to Wilshire. To get to the 405 North from westbound Wilshire, drivers could take Sepulveda North to the Moraga Drive entrance. However, construction to storm drains at Moraga Drive was expected until 6 a.m. That required lane reductions and closures on Moraga.
Despite the predicted chaos and misery, some drivers say the morning wasn't too bad.
"I expected the worst, and when I was driving into work, I didn't see any jams," said Anne De Rosa of Westwood.
But it could just be a matter of time. Transit officials say it is likely that motorist will feel significant traffic impacts and advise folks to plan ahead.
"The public should be prepared to add additional time to their commutes in the morning and in the afternoon as the traffic readjusts to these two ramps," said Dave Soterro with the MTA.
Transit officials have suggested that drivers leave as early as possible for their commute, carpool and avoid the area if at all possible.
Over the weekend, crews began demolishing the ramps that connect the I-405 Freeway with Wilshire Boulevard in what is just the first phase of "Ramp Jam." The project will take about a year to complete. The project serves to rebuild all eight ramps at the interchange and should improve traffic in the area.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, abc7 traffic center
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 31 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 32 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 30 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...