ABC7 Traffic Center
405 Freeway 'Ramp Jam' sees first Monday commuters
WESTWOOD (KABC) -- Drivers got their first look Monday at how "Ramp Jam" will affect their commute in West Los Angeles in the coming months.
The I-405 North off ramp to westbound Wilshire and the westbound Wilshire on ramp to the I-405 North were among the first closures to plague drivers. Those ramps will be closed for the next three months.
Suggested detours for the closures included exiting Santa Monica Boulevard and taking it to Sepulveda Boulevard to get to Wilshire. To get to the 405 North from westbound Wilshire, drivers could take Sepulveda North to the Moraga Drive entrance. However, construction to storm drains at Moraga Drive was expected until 6 a.m. That required lane reductions and closures on Moraga.
Despite the predicted chaos and misery, some drivers say the morning wasn't too bad.
"I expected the worst, and when I was driving into work, I didn't see any jams," said Anne De Rosa of Westwood.
But it could just be a matter of time. Transit officials say it is likely that motorist will feel significant traffic impacts and advise folks to plan ahead.
"The public should be prepared to add additional time to their commutes in the morning and in the afternoon as the traffic readjusts to these two ramps," said Dave Soterro with the MTA.
Transit officials have suggested that drivers leave as early as possible for their commute, carpool and avoid the area if at all possible.
Over the weekend, crews began demolishing the ramps that connect the I-405 Freeway with Wilshire Boulevard in what is just the first phase of "Ramp Jam." The project will take about a year to complete. The project serves to rebuild all eight ramps at the interchange and should improve traffic in the area.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, abc7 traffic center
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 34 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 15 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 32 min ago