ABC7 Traffic Center
I-605 south to I-405 south closure near Long Beach begins Monday
LOS ALAMITOS (KABC) -- The southbound 605 Freeway connector road to the southbound 405 Freeway in Long Beach will be closed for two weeks starting at 10 p.m. Monday.
The closure is part of a $277 million project that will link car pool lanes and ease traffic on the 405, 22 and 605 freeways. During this part of the closure, crews will rebuild a connector road and add a carpool lane. The entire project is expected to be completed in 2014.
The route is one that is heavily used in the evening, so drivers are being asked to use surface streets as an alternate.
Caltrans has set up several detours. Drivers will be able to exit the 605 and take surface streets through Long Beach, Rossmoor and Seal Beach to reach the 405, or they can exit at Katella Avenue, go right on Los Alamitos Boulevard/Seal Beach Boulevard to get the southbound 405.
The connector is set to reopen Aug. 15.
Other freeways in Norwalk and the San Gabriel, Antelope and San Fernando valleys saw closures starting Sunday. Also, "Ramp Jam" continues in Westwood, with ramps between the northbound 405 Freeway and westbound Wilshire Boulevard out of commission until further notice.
City News Service contributed to this report.
long beach, san fernando valley, antelope valley, san gabriel valley, road closure, road construction, traffic delay, travel, abc7 traffic center
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 10 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10