ABC7 Traffic Center
Multivehicle collision causes 405 Fwy traffic nightmare
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound lanes were reopened on the 405 Freeway in Sherman Oaks Thursday night after a multi-vehicle accident shut all lanes, trapping drivers for hours.
The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. in the midst of rush hour. A big rig jackknifed after colliding with two other vehicles and spilled fuel onto the roadway. All lanes were shut for two hours.
A carpool lane was opened just before 6:30 p.m. and remaining lanes would be closed until about 7:30 p.m., the California Highway Patrol said. By 8:15 p.m., three lanes were opened to traffic.
One lane remained blocked at Valley Vista and Sepulveda boulevards at 10 p.m. All lanes were reopened at 10:30 p.m.
Some injuries were reported in the accident. The fuel spill prompted a hazardous-materials team to respond.
Carmageddon II isn't expected for another month, but after Thursday's traffic nightmare, some already feel like they have been through the worst.
"Luckily we had the GPS so it gave us a detour on the Sepulveda," said driver Patrick Johnson. "We tried to get around it because we heard about it on the radio. If we had heard about it sooner, we would have tried to dodge it."
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- NorCal beach parking fee fight gets heated 31 min ago
- Frazier Park fire almost fully contained 56 min ago
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates 50 min ago
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut 15 min ago
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge
- more: Get personalized traffic reports and alerts
- map: Traffic view of areas north and west of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of areas east of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of Orange County
- map: Traffic view of the Inland Empire
- map: Traffic view of Ventura County
- map: Traffic view of 101/405 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of 5/10 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of San Diego County