ABC7 Traffic Center
Multivehicle collision causes 405 Fwy traffic nightmare
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound lanes were reopened on the 405 Freeway in Sherman Oaks Thursday night after a multi-vehicle accident shut all lanes, trapping drivers for hours.
The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. in the midst of rush hour. A big rig jackknifed after colliding with two other vehicles and spilled fuel onto the roadway. All lanes were shut for two hours.
A carpool lane was opened just before 6:30 p.m. and remaining lanes would be closed until about 7:30 p.m., the California Highway Patrol said. By 8:15 p.m., three lanes were opened to traffic.
One lane remained blocked at Valley Vista and Sepulveda boulevards at 10 p.m. All lanes were reopened at 10:30 p.m.
Some injuries were reported in the accident. The fuel spill prompted a hazardous-materials team to respond.
Carmageddon II isn't expected for another month, but after Thursday's traffic nightmare, some already feel like they have been through the worst.
"Luckily we had the GPS so it gave us a detour on the Sepulveda," said driver Patrick Johnson. "We tried to get around it because we heard about it on the radio. If we had heard about it sooner, we would have tried to dodge it."
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 13 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 21 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 58 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 21 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Cockfighting ring busted in Riverside County
3 min ago
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
49 min ago
- more: Get personalized traffic reports and alerts
- map: Traffic view of areas north and west of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of areas east of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of Orange County
- map: Traffic view of the Inland Empire
- map: Traffic view of Ventura County
- map: Traffic view of 101/405 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of 5/10 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of San Diego County