ABC7 Traffic Center
Multivehicle collision causes 405 Fwy traffic nightmare
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound lanes were reopened on the 405 Freeway in Sherman Oaks Thursday night after a multi-vehicle accident shut all lanes, trapping drivers for hours.
The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. in the midst of rush hour. A big rig jackknifed after colliding with two other vehicles and spilled fuel onto the roadway. All lanes were shut for two hours.
A carpool lane was opened just before 6:30 p.m. and remaining lanes would be closed until about 7:30 p.m., the California Highway Patrol said. By 8:15 p.m., three lanes were opened to traffic.
One lane remained blocked at Valley Vista and Sepulveda boulevards at 10 p.m. All lanes were reopened at 10:30 p.m.
Some injuries were reported in the accident. The fuel spill prompted a hazardous-materials team to respond.
Carmageddon II isn't expected for another month, but after Thursday's traffic nightmare, some already feel like they have been through the worst.
"Luckily we had the GPS so it gave us a detour on the Sepulveda," said driver Patrick Johnson. "We tried to get around it because we heard about it on the radio. If we had heard about it sooner, we would have tried to dodge it."
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 16 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 46 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 6 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 35 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
26 min ago
- more: Get personalized traffic reports and alerts
- map: Traffic view of areas north and west of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of areas east of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of Orange County
- map: Traffic view of the Inland Empire
- map: Traffic view of Ventura County
- map: Traffic view of 101/405 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of 5/10 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of San Diego County