ABC7 Traffic Center
Wilshire I-405 ramps reopened early in time for Labor Day weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two Wilshire Boulevard ramps to the 405 Freeway were reopened Friday, three weeks ahead of schedule.
The westbound Wilshire Boulevard onramp to the northbound 405 and the northbound 405 Freeway offramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard were reopened, according to Caltrans. They were not expected to be opened until September 22, thus ending that part of so-called "Ramp Jam" early.
The closures are part of the Interstate 405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project.
There are six more Wilshire Blvd. ramps scheduled for rebuilding at the 405 interchange. They are scheduled to be closed consecutively for between 14 to 90 days over the next year, according to Caltrans. The next set of closures is scheduled for November and is expected to last for 14 days. Those dates were not announced.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project involves building a 10-mile carpool lane between the Ventura (101) Freeway and the Santa Monica (10) Freeway to improve the notoriously congested Sepulveda Pass.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project will reduce existing and forecasted traffic congestion on the I-405 and enhance traffic operations by adding freeway capacity in an area that experiences heavy congestion, according to the Metro website. In addition to those modifications, the project will improve both existing and future mobility and enhance safety throughout the corridor.
City News Service contributed to this report.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, holiday, westside, abc7 traffic center
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 55 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 17 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 16 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 25 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 30 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...