ABC7 Traffic Center
Wilshire I-405 ramps reopened early in time for Labor Day weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two Wilshire Boulevard ramps to the 405 Freeway were reopened Friday, three weeks ahead of schedule.
The westbound Wilshire Boulevard onramp to the northbound 405 and the northbound 405 Freeway offramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard were reopened, according to Caltrans. They were not expected to be opened until September 22, thus ending that part of so-called "Ramp Jam" early.
The closures are part of the Interstate 405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project.
There are six more Wilshire Blvd. ramps scheduled for rebuilding at the 405 interchange. They are scheduled to be closed consecutively for between 14 to 90 days over the next year, according to Caltrans. The next set of closures is scheduled for November and is expected to last for 14 days. Those dates were not announced.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project involves building a 10-mile carpool lane between the Ventura (101) Freeway and the Santa Monica (10) Freeway to improve the notoriously congested Sepulveda Pass.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project will reduce existing and forecasted traffic congestion on the I-405 and enhance traffic operations by adding freeway capacity in an area that experiences heavy congestion, according to the Metro website. In addition to those modifications, the project will improve both existing and future mobility and enhance safety throughout the corridor.
City News Service contributed to this report.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, holiday, westside, abc7 traffic center
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting 31 min ago
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple 45 min ago
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate