ABC7 Traffic Center
Wilshire I-405 ramps reopened early in time for Labor Day weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two Wilshire Boulevard ramps to the 405 Freeway were reopened Friday, three weeks ahead of schedule.
The westbound Wilshire Boulevard onramp to the northbound 405 and the northbound 405 Freeway offramp to westbound Wilshire Boulevard were reopened, according to Caltrans. They were not expected to be opened until September 22, thus ending that part of so-called "Ramp Jam" early.
The closures are part of the Interstate 405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project.
There are six more Wilshire Blvd. ramps scheduled for rebuilding at the 405 interchange. They are scheduled to be closed consecutively for between 14 to 90 days over the next year, according to Caltrans. The next set of closures is scheduled for November and is expected to last for 14 days. Those dates were not announced.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project involves building a 10-mile carpool lane between the Ventura (101) Freeway and the Santa Monica (10) Freeway to improve the notoriously congested Sepulveda Pass.
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project will reduce existing and forecasted traffic congestion on the I-405 and enhance traffic operations by adding freeway capacity in an area that experiences heavy congestion, according to the Metro website. In addition to those modifications, the project will improve both existing and future mobility and enhance safety throughout the corridor.
City News Service contributed to this report.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, holiday, westside, abc7 traffic center
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Family, friends honor Hesperia soldier
9 min ago