ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon II prep partially closes I-405
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Get ready for a warm-up to Carmageddon II Saturday night. All southbound lanes of the 405 Freeway between the 101 Freeway and Getty Center Drive will close for 10 hours, from 11 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday.
The northbound lanes will close during the same hours on the weekend of Sept. 15. The Mulholland Bridge over the freeway will be closed next Friday night through next Sunday morning.
Workers say the closures are needed to set up for the work that will take place during Carmageddon II weekend of Sept. 29. That weekend, both sides of the 405 Freeway will close for 53 hours for demolition work on the south side of the Mulholland Bridge.
"We're asking people to avoid the area as we remove the false deck," said Kasey Shuda, Metro's community relations officer.
Metro hosted a community meeting Thursday night to talk about the upcoming closures. Westside residents expressed concerns about heavy traffic on Sepulveda Boulevard and the streets of surrounding communities.
"People who cannot go onto the freeway or access Sepulveda use our streets to get around and about to Sepulveda," said Margery Grossman of Encino.
Most residents are optimistic about the "warm-up" closures, and some are even more optimistic about Carmageddon II.
"I think the majority of the people listened to what everyone had to say, and they stayed home, they kind of hung out locally, they went to their local shops, their local restaurants," said Laura Rivera of Encino.
Officials said they are a few months behind schedule on the 405 Freeway project, but they still believe they will have the bulk of it completed before the end of next year.
For more information on the project and closures, visit the website for the Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project.
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers 51 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Bear cub frequents Duarte for snacks
28 min ago
- more: Get personalized traffic reports and alerts
- map: Traffic view of areas north and west of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of areas east of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of Orange County
- map: Traffic view of the Inland Empire
- map: Traffic view of Ventura County
- map: Traffic view of 101/405 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of 5/10 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of San Diego County