ABC7 Traffic Center
'Carmageddon 2': Business owners see ups, downs
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Business owners on the Westside are getting ready for "Carmageddon 2," now a little more than a week away. The big question is, will the sequel be worse than the original?
Pizzeria owner Manny Ghaffari said he isn't worried about what many consider a business doomsday. Despite the traffic delays, lane closures and a full closure of the I-405 near his restaurant, Ghaffari stays positive, based on last year when locals filled his restaurant.
"Not [only did] we feed the locals, we've been feeding all the construction people," he said. "A lot of people I think are working now on this project and it's good for our economy, it's good for people who are looking for a job."
Other nearby businesses weren't so lucky last year and have not fared as well with the intermittent construction on the 405 Freeway at the Sepulveda Pass.
"A lot of complaints," said Sandy Flores about customers at the dry cleaning business she works at. "They can't go through, they can't pick up their laundry they can't drop off anything, so it makes business a little bit slow."
During the weekend of Sept. 29, the 405 Freeway will be shut down in both directions from the 101 Freeway to the 10 Freeway. It's one of the busiest stretches of freeway in the world, and the shutdown could have a ripple effect on traffic all over Southern California. Crews will be working to complete the demolition of the Mulholland Bridge, continuing what they began during the original "Carmageddon" last year.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, west los angeles, westside, abc7 traffic center, rudabeh shahbazi
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 50 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months