ABC7 Traffic Center
Area hospitals prepare for 'Carmageddon 2'
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The 405 Freeway between the 10 and the 101 freeways will be completely shut down over the weekend of Sept. 29-30, just 10 days away. The weekend has been dubbed "Carmageddon 2."
For most people, Carmageddon 2 will just be an inconvenience, but for people who need hospital services, it could be a more serious problem. That's why local hospitals are already preparing.
People have differing opinions about the role Carmageddon 2 will play when it comes to hospitals and emergency services.
But behind the scenes at UCLA Medical Center, Disaster Resource Center Manager Kurt Kainsinger and others have been preparing for months.
"We're limiting visitation during that weekend to the patients that are in the hospital so that we can avoid traffic congestion in the area Kainsinger. "We're also modifying our surgery schedules and clinic schedules for Monday morning especially, in case there are issues with getting the freeway reopened."
They're even early-admitting high-risk patients, like pregnant women, so if anything happens during the weekend of the freeway closure, they will already be in-house. And so will potentially 250 staff members who will get accommodations in local hotels and an on-campus guest house.
Staff who live locally are encouraged to come in and work three consecutive shifts. They will even be making rounds to see if they can discharge any patients early.
"We want to reinforce the message out to the community that if you have a medical emergency, call 911. Don't try to get in the car and drive to the hospital," said Kainsinger. "The last thing we want is for somebody with a serious medical condition to be stuck on the road in traffic."
Other hospitals in the Southland have contingency plans too. While Northridge Hospital Medical Center doesn't have a Carmageddon-specific plan, it does have a long list of doctors and nurses to call in case of emergency.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center, rudabeh shahbazi
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 44 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 38 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 34 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present