ABC7 Traffic Center
Mulholland Bridge shut for weekend for Carmageddon 2 preparations
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Carmageddon 2 is still one week away, but related construction is already underway in the Sepulveda Pass that could affect weekend travel.
The Mulholland Bridge was shut down Friday night and will stay closed until 6 a.m. Monday As a result of this weekend's closure, traffic will be shifted to the rebuilt south side of the bridge and workers will make adjustments to the roadway, preparing for demolition of the north side next weekend.
The 405 Freeway will be closed in both directions for 53 hours between the 101 and the 10 freeways the weekend of Sept. 29-30. Last year's first edition of Caramgeddon went smoothly because drivers stayed off the roads.
"Last time I just stayed put, I didn't go out," said driver Alana Lea. "But I need to go out next weekend so I'm going to stay with a friend on the other end."
While there were no ugly traffic snarls last summer, some worry drivers won't stay home this year. But detours and construction work resulting from the closures on the 405 Freeway have made travelling on the Westside difficult.
"It actually does affect my routes, and quite often at night it really messes me up when these closures happen," said Lea.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 53 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 49 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 25 min ago
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2
- Alison Arngrim speaks about sex abuse
3 min ago