ABC7 Traffic Center
Mulholland Bridge shut for weekend for Carmageddon 2 preparations
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Carmageddon 2 is still one week away, but related construction is already underway in the Sepulveda Pass that could affect weekend travel.
The Mulholland Bridge was shut down Friday night and will stay closed until 6 a.m. Monday As a result of this weekend's closure, traffic will be shifted to the rebuilt south side of the bridge and workers will make adjustments to the roadway, preparing for demolition of the north side next weekend.
The 405 Freeway will be closed in both directions for 53 hours between the 101 and the 10 freeways the weekend of Sept. 29-30. Last year's first edition of Caramgeddon went smoothly because drivers stayed off the roads.
"Last time I just stayed put, I didn't go out," said driver Alana Lea. "But I need to go out next weekend so I'm going to stay with a friend on the other end."
While there were no ugly traffic snarls last summer, some worry drivers won't stay home this year. But detours and construction work resulting from the closures on the 405 Freeway have made travelling on the Westside difficult.
"It actually does affect my routes, and quite often at night it really messes me up when these closures happen," said Lea.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 32 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds