ABC7 Traffic Center
Sunset Boulevard Bridge reopens with more lanes
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Sunset Boulevard Bridge over the 405 Freeway reopened with two additional traffic lanes Monday morning.
The bridge now has eight lanes and is 30 feet wider. Each direction has a turning lane, which should help alleviate traffic.
"I think it's great. It's going to help reduce the traffic a bit," said Brian Bellingham, who is one of 22,000 motorists who use the bridge daily.
The construction is part of the $1-billion 405 Freeway widening project.
"This is a great benefit to the people who live here and people who travel through here," said Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. "This also signifies that we're reaching the home stretch of the 405 project. This was the first major bridge, the first major part of the 405 project, and by this time next year, this project should be done."
Meantime, Westside commuters are bracing for Carmageddon 2 this weekend when the 405 Freeway will be closed for 52 hours between the 10 and 101 freeways so crews can demolish the north half of the Mulholland Drive Bridge.
Officials are urging Southern California drivers to avoid the area on Saturday and Sunday. Last year's first edition of Caramgeddon went smoothly because most drivers stayed off the roads.
While the first Carmageddon ended early, officials are not expecting that to happen this time around. They say they have 30 percent more work to do. The bridge should reopen at 5 a.m. next Monday.
Metrolink is also doing what it can to make getting around easier. It's adding service between Chatsworth and Los Angeles this weekend to give you more options. The special Ventura County service will go from Chatsworth to Union Station and back, and include stops in Glendale, Burbank, Van Nuys and Northridge.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months