ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon 2: CHP warns against I-405 trespassing shenanigans
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The California Highway Patrol on Tuesday issued a stern warning to anyone who intends to sneak onto the I-405 during "Carmageddon 2."
"Take note, if you access the closed section of the 405 Freeway, you'll be breaking the law and we will be taking the appropriate enforcement action," said CHP Assistant Chief Calvin Aubrey at a news conference.
"Actually, let me be clearer than that for the public. You will be arrested," he said.
A 10-mile stretch of the 405 Freeway will be closed this weekend from the 10 to 101 freeways. Lanes on the 405 will begin closing around 10 p.m. Friday, and the entire freeway stretch will be shut down by midnight. The closure is expected to continue until 5 a.m. Monday.
The warning was issued based on the actions of trespassers last year. One person skateboarded down the freeway. And perhaps the most iconic photo op during the event, a trio set up a dinner table with candles and plates, and toasted with wine.
Officials are also asking the public to stay out of their cars over the weekend or take alternative transportation.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center, rudabeh shahbazi
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash 6 min ago
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s 6 min ago
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present