ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon 2: Officials warn commuters not to be complacent
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Carmageddon 2 is just days away, and officials warn commuters not to be complacent just because round one went smoothly.
Friday night, the 405 Freeway will shut down in both directions for two days as crews demolish the north side of the Mulholland Bridge. The closure will stretch 10 miles from the 101 to the 10 just as it did last year. Lanes on the 405 will begin closing around 10 p.m. Friday, and the entire freeway stretch will be shut down by midnight. The closure is expected to continue until 5 a.m. Monday.
Officials are urging people to stay home and not underestimate the potential for traffic chaos.
"We're asking people to stay home, you know shop in their neighborhoods, take a walk, ride your bike, use transit," said Mike Miles with Caltrans.
Caltrans says they need to get about 185,000 cars off the roads this weekend to make sure they don't have gridlocks and backups. As an incentive, Metrolink is offering $10 off this weekend for those who want to take the train.
If you have to drive, Miles said bring your patience with you.
"Try to stay out of your car as much as you can. If you do have to drive, we're asking that you be prepared. Expect delays, expect traffic jams, expect congestion," Miles said.
City and county officials are recommending people to visit attractions that are not near the 405 Freeway like the Los Angeles Zoo and the Long Beach Aquarium. Also, Discover LA is offering ideas for people to avoid weekend closure with #405things.
Meantime, a countdown clock started running on digital billboards throughout Los Angeles on Wednesday, reminding everyone to prepare and plan.
As for shenanigans during the closure, the CHP has issued a stern warning: If you access the closed section of the freeway, you will be arrested. The warning was issued based on the actions of trespassers last year.
officials at Los Angeles International Airport are urging airline passengers to use public transportation and to plan for longer travel times to get to the airport. Using the FlyAway bus is one option.
road closure, road construction, carmageddon, abc7 traffic center
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 11 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 30 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour