ABC7 Traffic Center
Coldwater Canyon Avenue 5-week closure begins
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Let the traffic nightmare begin. The closure of Coldwater Canyon Avenue officially started Saturday morning. The thoroughfare is shut between Mulholland Drive and Ventura Boulevard for the next five weeks.
The road is usually traveled by many commuters going to and from the Valley and the West Side. Crews will be replacing a 100-year-old water main pipeline. The pipe ruptured in September 2009 and flooded the intersection of Coldwater Canyon Avenue and Ventura Boulevard, causing $8 million in damage. Workers will be digging trenches, some as deep as 23 feet, to replace the pipe.
The thoroughfare will be closed from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day until the Department of Water and Power project is finished. The stretch of road is expected to reopen April 25, but crews are hoping they can finish the construction early.
One lane in each direction will open after 7 p.m. on weekdays and after 6 p.m. on Saturdays.
Alternative routes include the Cahuenga Pass, Laurel Canyon Boulevard and Sepulveda Boulevard.
You can get more information about the closure on this DWP flyer.
Drivers will face another big traffic problem this weekend with the closure of the northbound 405 Freeway from Getty Center Drive to the 101 Freeway. Ramps will be shut down as early as 7 p.m. Saturday leading up to a full closure from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. The work allows crews to install structures on the Mulholland Bridge.
construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 30 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 47 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 6 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 13 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
40 min ago