ABC7 Traffic Center
New lane on 405 Freeway opens from I-10 to Santa Monica Boulevard
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Just in time for the Memorial Day getaway, drivers may feel some relief on the 405 Freeway. The first section of a new lane, from the 10 Freeway to Santa Monica Boulevard, opened Friday morning.
Despite the extra lane, the San Diego freeway was backed up worse than normal Friday morning due to a tanker spill, and the milestone opening was overshadowed by the accident just north of the Wilshire Boulevard exit.
Transportation officials say 1,500 to 2,000 vehicles go through that stretch of the freeway per hour, so the new 1.7-mile northbound lane will help ease congestion at one of the worst freeway interchanges in the nation.
"Adding another lane of capacity in that bottleneck is going to make a big difference. But also, we're improving the shoulders, we're standardizing the lanes," said Metro spokesman Mark Littman. "It's going to be a safer freeway. It's going to be easier to get on and off when all these improvements are done."
Metro and Caltrans planned the opening to coincide with the holiday weekend and provide congestion relief for motorists.
The K-rails are still up because crews still have a lot of work to do to complete the widening of the 405 Freeway between the 10 and 101 freeways.
The overall $1-billion project has hit some major roadblocks recently. It's delayed and over budget by $100 million. Utility and piping issues along Sepulveda Boulevard have pushed the project back by as much as a year.
road closure, road construction, traffic delay, I-405 closure, abc7 traffic center, q mccray
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 23 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
58 min ago