Vista L.A. for Sun., Jan. 18, 2009
SOUTHLAND (KABC) -- Additional information for the Vista L.A. show aired on Sunday, Jan. 18.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Homeboy Industries, a program offering at-risk and gang-involved youth free services and programs to help redirect their lives. Created in 1988 by Father Greg Boyle, the idea behind Homeboy Industries was a result of a search for answers to rising gang violence in the Boyle Heights neighborhood. Father Boyle decided to develop services including counseling, educational training, job training and tattoo removal, all in order to help local youth make better choices. "Homeboy" has created thriving businesses including Homeboy Bakery, Homegirl Café and a gift shop, which are all run by its members.
For more information about Homeboy Industries:
130 W. Bruno Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
BUILDING A BRAND
You've probably seen designer Eduardo Xol on the ABC hit show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"&Vista L.A. caught up with him at his offices -- "Xol: Creative" -- to see what else this Renaissance man has in the works.
For more information on Eduardo Xol, visit: www.eduardoxol.com
Standing at only 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing 122 pounds, 27-year-old boxer Daniel Ponce De Leon packs a punch that has knocked out nearly all of his opponents. Growing up in Mexico in extreme poverty and now living as a professional boxer in Huntington Park, Daniel learned early on how to fight like a champion in more ways than one. Today, he has signed on with Oscar De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy Promotions, and was the reigning world champion in the WBO's Super Bantamweight division for three years. He lost his title to Puerto Rican Boxer Juan Manuel Lopez last June, but he's definitely one to watch.
For more information on Daniel, visit: www.goldenboypromotions.com/fighters/deleon.php
MORE L.A. BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, TRAFFIC, SPORTS
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book