Vista L.A. for Sun., Jan. 18, 2009
SOUTHLAND (KABC) -- Additional information for the Vista L.A. show aired on Sunday, Jan. 18.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Homeboy Industries, a program offering at-risk and gang-involved youth free services and programs to help redirect their lives. Created in 1988 by Father Greg Boyle, the idea behind Homeboy Industries was a result of a search for answers to rising gang violence in the Boyle Heights neighborhood. Father Boyle decided to develop services including counseling, educational training, job training and tattoo removal, all in order to help local youth make better choices. "Homeboy" has created thriving businesses including Homeboy Bakery, Homegirl Café and a gift shop, which are all run by its members.
For more information about Homeboy Industries:
130 W. Bruno Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
BUILDING A BRAND
You've probably seen designer Eduardo Xol on the ABC hit show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"&Vista L.A. caught up with him at his offices -- "Xol: Creative" -- to see what else this Renaissance man has in the works.
For more information on Eduardo Xol, visit: www.eduardoxol.com
Standing at only 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing 122 pounds, 27-year-old boxer Daniel Ponce De Leon packs a punch that has knocked out nearly all of his opponents. Growing up in Mexico in extreme poverty and now living as a professional boxer in Huntington Park, Daniel learned early on how to fight like a champion in more ways than one. Today, he has signed on with Oscar De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy Promotions, and was the reigning world champion in the WBO's Super Bantamweight division for three years. He lost his title to Puerto Rican Boxer Juan Manuel Lopez last June, but he's definitely one to watch.
For more information on Daniel, visit: www.goldenboypromotions.com/fighters/deleon.php
MORE L.A. BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, TRAFFIC, SPORTS
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 45 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 9 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 45 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'