Vista L.A. for Sun., June 14, 2009
SOUTHLAND (KABC) -- Additional information for the Vista L.A. show aired on Sunday, June 14.
A Boxer's Dream, A Father's Wish
Twenty-three-year-old Shawn Estrada began boxing when he was only seven and his father became his coach and mentor. It wasn't long before Shawn was climbing the ranks in the boxing world. Father and son were a rock-solid team with one goal in mind: to qualify for the 2008 US Olympic Boxing Team. After much work and countless tournaments, Shawn qualified and was on his way to Beijing; and soon after his return he officially turned pro. His first two professional bouts were one-round TKO's.
For more information on Shawn Estrada, visit: www.goossentutor.com
Abel Delgado couldn't imagine a life without music. As an accomplished flutist, he was introduced to music as a young child. Abel says, music gave him self-esteem and confidence at a time when he felt he didn't fit in with other kids. It was the support of mentors and teachers who helped him along the way, which enabled Abel to be successful as a professional musician and conductor. Today, he's returning that gift, as the music director and conductor of The Harmony Project, a non-profit program giving free instruments and music classes to low-income kids. With two locations in Los Angeles, Abel hopes to take the program nationwide, making sure every child has access to music instruction -- even if they can't afford it.
To donate to The Harmony Project, volunteer, or see if your child qualifies, visit: www.harmony-project.org
Annual Mariachi Festival
"Mariachi USA" is an annual musical festival held at the Hollywood Bowl. This year marks the festival's 20th anniversary. The celebration of Mexico's traditional music was created in 1989 by Rodri Rodriguez, a producer and visionary who wanted to harness the popularity of mariachi music, where family and friends could come together to enjoy some of the best mariachi music from all over the world.
To buy tickets for the 20th Annual "Mariachi USA Festival" on June 20, 2009 visit or call: www.mariachiusa.com, (800) MARIACHI.
French Dips and Hospitality
Known for its famous French-dipped sandwiches, Philippe's the Original, simply referred to as Philippe's, is located in the heart of old Los Angeles. This L.A. institution celebrated its centennial anniversary in October 2008. Loyal customers from all walks of life come here, not only for the variety of dipped sandwiches, but also for its secret recipe hot mustard, 10-cent coffee, pickled eggs, pickled pig's feet and above all -- they come back for a taste of old L.A. Its longtime employees stay because it feels like home to them.
To visit Philippe's The Original:
1001 N. Alameda St.
Los Angeles, 90012
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 42 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 16 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 28 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
34 min ago