Vista L.A.: Museum of Latin American Art
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Vista L.A. visits the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach, the only museum in the United States exclusively dedicated to modern and contemporary Latin American art.
Also, Vista L.A. looks at the significance of the "America Tropical" mural in Olvera Street and its surrounding controversy.
David Alfaro Siqueiros, along with Diego Rivera and Jose Clemente Orozco, were part of the trilogy of great muralists that transformed art in Mexico. But in addition to his role in Mexico, Siqueiros has a specific importance in art in the United States.
In the early 1930s, Siqueiros was commissioned to paint a mural in Olvera Street. The mural, known as "America Tropical," was deemed too controversial and was immediately white washed. An effort to conserve the mural and bring it back into public view is currently under way.
Vista L.A spoke with Amigos de Siqueiros executive director Gregorio Luke, director of the Getty Conservation Institute Timothy Whalen and City of L.A. Capital Projects director Christopher Espinoza.
The America Tropical Mural and Interpretive Center is scheduled for completion in 2012.
For more project details, visit: www.getty.edu/conservation/field_projects/siqueiros
Museum of Latin American Art - MOLAA
628 Alamitos Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90802
For details on MOLAA exhibitions and programs, visit:
Originally aired Sun., Oct. 24, at 11:30 a.m.
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation 14 min ago
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Yosemite park's tourist amenities at stake
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment 6 min ago
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles 55 min ago
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video