Vista LA: Hidden gems with Latinos at the helm
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Vista LA unveils hidden gems in food, fashion and more across the Southland with creative Latinos at the helm.
A Tea For All Seasons
We found The Four Seasons Tea Room in a charming bungalow in Sierra Madre in the San Gabriel Valley. Owner and tea expert Rosa Jaime offers a variety of teas and tea sandwiches that combine English traditions and her Mexican culture [Watch video].
- For more information about the Four Seasons Tea Room, visit www.4seasonstearoom.com.
The Four Seasons Tea Room
75 N. Baldwin Avenue
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
A Treat For The Palate
Palate restaurant in Glendale is both surprising and satisfying, well, to the palate! Run by Octavio Becerra, a local chef with more than 30 years experience, Palate offers a unique experience at every visit with cheeses and wine from around the world and a new menu every week [Watch video].
- For more information about the Palate restaurant, visit http://palatefoodwine.com.
933 South Brand Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91204
Tamale Factory Unwrapped
The Gourmet Tamale Factory in the San Fernando Valley is a small family business owned and operated by the Ortega family. They make thousands of homemade-tasting tamales for both local customers and hundreds of L.A. restaurants daily [Watch video].
- For more information about the Gourmet Tamale Factory, visit www.thegourmettamalefactory.com.
Gourmet Tamale Factory
119 N Maclay Ave.
San Fernando, CA 91340
Hidden Gourmet - Casita
Los Angeles is among the best cities for Mexican food anywhere in the world. Many of these special places are often very popular within their neighborhoods, but not well-known beyond their city limits. Well, Vista L.A. discovered one of these restaurant gems - La Casita Mexicana. Located in the city of Bell, La Casita is one of L.A.'s finest Mexican restaurants serving a truly authentic taste of Mexico [Watch video].
- For more information about Casita restaurant, visit http://casitamex.com.
La Casita Mexicana
4030 Gage Avenue
Bell, CA 90201-1127
Hours: Daily 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
Café Of Second Chances
Homegirl Café in Los Angeles serves Mexican-inspired dishes made with organic herbs and produce grown in their own backyard. The restaurant is run by Homeboy Industries, a gang prevention and intervention program giving young men and women opportunities to redirect their lives by providing services, like job training and education. Homegirl Café is staffed by women who have gone through a one-year culinary program. Visiting Homegirl Café helps both the organization and the community [Watch video].
- For more information about Homegirl Cafe, visit www.homegirlcafe.org.
130 Bruno St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Fashion Warehouse Secret
Stop Staring is a fashion line created by local designer Alicia Estrada. Her classic and retro-inspired dresses are sold in thousands of boutiques worldwide and have been seen on TV shows like ABC's "Pan Am" and "Desperate Housewives." Although most Stop Staring fans buy the dresses online or at local shops, many don't know that you can get great bargains at the company warehouse in Paramount [Watch video].
- For more information about Stop Staring, visit www.stopstaringclothing.com.
Stop Staring Shop
14023 Paramount Blvd.
Paramount, CA 90723
Discover a Hidden Retreat
The Leo Carrillo Ranch is a historic park in Carlsbad, Calif. A beautiful escape less than two hours away from Los Angeles, it was built by the late Broadway and TV Actor Leo Carrillo, and is now a landmark filled with roaming peacocks, rolling hills and Spanish colonial architecture. The Carrillo Ranch is open to the public for tours, special events and picnics [Watch video].
- For more information about the Leo Carrillo Ranch, visit www.carlsbadca.gov.
Leo Carrillo Ranch Park
6200 Flying LC Lane
Carlsbad, CA 92009
[Original air date: December 18, 2011]
food, music news, vista l.a.
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 26 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 28 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange 43 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling 15 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 8 min ago