Vista LA: Inside look behind Franky Carrillo's road to vindication
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Vista L.A. delves into the moving stories of local inspirational figures and also explores local neighborhood food finds you don't want to pass up.
A 16-year-old boy from Maywood was convicted of murder and sentenced to a life behind bars. For more than 20 years, Franky Carrillo sat in prison but never gave up on proving his innocence. He reached out to anyone who would listen, insisting he was framed. Now Carrillo tells his story to Vista L.A. host Jovana Lara and we hear from the special person who helped blow the case wide open, and ultimately save his life. It's a story of the ultimate injustice and true forgiveness [Watch video].
Vista Salutes Irazema Guerrero
Irazema Guerrero is an elementary school teacher in Los Angeles, and was named the 2012 "Educator of the Year" by the Hispanic Scholarship Fund. We salute Irazema for empowering kids through education [Watch video].
- For more information on the Hispanic Scholarship Fund's "Leaders in Education Awards," visit http://www.hsf.net.
When NASA landed the Curiosity Rover on Mars, Eric Aguilar and Luis Dominguez were among those celebrating. They were part of the team responsible for this amazing feat. Vista L.A.'s Danny Romero visited the two engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, and found out how they landed their dream jobs [Watch video].
- Learn more about the Mars Rover at http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov.
Cesar Chavez Navy Ship
A new U.S. Navy ship was recently named in honor of civil rights activist and legendary labor leader Cesar Chavez. Vista L.A. attended the christening of the USNS Cesar Chavez, which also recognizes his service to the country as a sailor and his never-ending fight for justice [Watch video].
- For more information about Cesar Chavez's legacy, visit www.chavezfoundation.org.
Danny Does Lunch With Evette Rios
Danny met up with Evette Rios, a correspondent for ABC's "The Chew," for lunch. Evette, a native New Yorker with Puerto Rican roots, introduced Danny to a gem of a restaurant in his very own hometown of East L.A. [Watch video].
El Huarachito Restaurant
3010 North Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90031
Neighborhood Food Finds
We asked some locals about their favorite neighborhood food finds, here are this week's picks:
- El Floridita Restaurant
1253 N. Vine St.
Hollywood, CA 90038
- Carnitas Michoacan
1901 N Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90031
- Mariscos Tacos & Mexican Food
7922 Rosecrans Avenue Suite #G
Paramount, CA 90723
Tell us about your favorite restaurants, food stands or trucks in your neighborhood at www.facebook.com/VistaLA.
If you would like to watch the closed captioned versions of this episode's videos, click on the links below:
- Closed Captioned Video: Maywood man exonerated of murder after 20 years
- Closed Captioned Video: Vista LA salutes teacher Irazema Guerrero
- Closed Captioned Video: Local NASA engineers talk Mars rover Curiosity
- Closed Captioned Video: Navy ship named in honor of Cesar Chavez
- Closed Captioned Video: Neighborhood food finds, lunch w/ Evette Rios
food, nasa, vista l.a.
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 2 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 59 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine 54 min ago
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis