Bell councilman speaks out, new side of Downey discovered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Vista L.A. examined the latest developments in the Bell scandal and its effect on the city, caught up with local golf star Lizette Salas and looked at the changing landscape of Downey.
Bell Corruption Scandal
It's the biggest public corruption scandal in California history. The small, blue-collar community of Bell was rocked to its core by the very people who took an oath to look after it. Now, five city council members face prison time, but one lone councilman, Lorenzo Velez, never faced charges. Vista L.A.'s Jovana Lara sat down with the former councilman to hear his story [Watch video].
Meanwhile, the community is recovering from the scandal and is re-engaging its residents [Watch video].
Antonio Aguilar Statue Unveiled
If you've been by Olvera Street recently, you may have noticed a new addition. Vista L.A. attended the unveiling of a statue honoring the late Mexican music and film star Antonio Aguilar.
Golf Star Lizette Salas
Several years ago we shared the inspirational story of a talented young golfer from the city of Azusa. And now, she's going where very few Latinas have gone before [Watch video].
Neighborhood Find: L.A. Buns
L.A. Buns is just one of many new businesses changing the landscape of downtown Downey.
- L.A. Buns
8237 2nd St.
Downey, CA 90241
Downey officials hope that three young artists and their new gallery will help revive their main street, bring new energy to their neighborhood and will be a new cultural hub for the city [Watch video].
- Stay Gallery
11140 Downey Ave.
Downey, CA 90241
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 47 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 56 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds