Storm knocks trees in IE, soaks burn areas
LYTLE CREEK, Calif. (KABC) -- In the Inland Empire, Monday's storm knocked over trees and caused numerous traffic accidents.
The heavy rain started about 1:30 p.m. Monday and came in waves accompanied by high winds. The winds are especially gusty and dangerous at the top of Cajon Pass.
The Redlands Fire Department was busy on the 10 Freeway. In one incident, a motorist skidded in the rain and ran into the center divider. The advice from the CHP hasn't changed much over the years.
"It's the same thing year after year, just slow it down. The slower the better," said one CHP officer.
Highway 138 near Waters Drive has been blocked by a huge tree that was blown over by the wind. In another area near Lake Gregory along Geneva Drive, another huge tree fell into a house. Fortunately, there have been no reports of injuries.
<p In Yucaipa, where the Pendleton Fire burned hundreds of acres last year, the placement of K-rails and sandbags appears to be working, keeping runoff from the Fremont Heights Mobile Home Park.
"They were for emergency use, and we're trying to keep from having one," said Barbara Parton, a Yucaipa resident.
Residents in the area were busy making better use of hundreds of sandbags placed in the area by the city.
In Yucaipa, officials are hopefully optimistic that they're not going to have any runoff from fire scorched hillsides.
rain, storm, road closure, wildfire, san bernardino county, weather, bob banfield
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event