Chasing tornadoes with Dallas Raines
CAMPO, Colo. (KABC) -- I had my closest encounter ever with twisters over Memorial Day weekend when I went tornado-chasing in Colorado.
This was my fourth year heading back to "Tornado Alley" with my colleagues from Tempest Tours. After analyzing models and the radar, I picked Colorado as conditions appeared to be ripe for severe thunderstorms.
Through the years, I've learned that it is not simple to pinpoint exactly where a twister will form, even if the conditions are favorable. It takes patience, a lot of waiting, and a whole lot of driving.
While on the rural roads, it's wise to always keep your eyes -- and ears -- open. You can hear the roar. It's called a "hail roar."
After waiting and watching, when the first tornado appeared, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. You could see the winds swirling around counterclockwise. It was just the most beautiful funnel. We were less than a quarter of a mile away and I was instantly amazed by its beauty.
Your natural instinct is to run for your life, but I hung on for a few more moments. As it swirled right above me I felt smaller and smaller. Perhaps we were a little too close.
"I'm going to keep looking at it until you tell me to go!" I said to Bill.
Suddenly the adrenaline started kicking in and I knew it was time to leave. We jumped in our cars and drove to safety, admiring the enormous beast from a distance.
Suddenly there was silence. The violent storm that produced so much power was vanishing before our eyes.
As I looked in the distance I saw a beautiful rainbow, as if it was a sign that our adventure was coming to an end.
tornado, weather, dallas raines
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months