SoCal residents coping with intense heat
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The extreme summer heat was especially intense in the Inland Empire Monday with temperatures hitting the 100 degree mark by 11 a.m.
Officials said cooling centers would be open until Thursday throughout the area but many residents were preparing on their own.
"I'm going to stand in the shade and go to school and stand in the air conditioner," said Billy Lifshin, who was on his way to school Monday morning.
Authorities recommended wearing sunscreen to protect skin from the intense sunshine and keeping plenty of water on hand.
Dr. Robert Steele at Loma Linda University Hospital warned that heat exhaustion and heat stroke were real risks during weather like this.
"The most important piece of treating heat-related illnesses is to prevent heat-related illness," he said.
Some inland residents were taking this advice to heart by cooling off in Mill Creek, a popular stream and nature area in San Bernardino National Forest.
"A girlfriend called me up, she has one more day off before school and it was hot. We decided to come up to the creek and cool off," said Dana Spillane, who drove to Mill Creek from Redlands.
While Monday's heat was severe, it came amid a relatively mild summer with much cooler temperatures felt throughout the previous weeks.
riverside county, san bernardino county, pollution, health, weather, rob mcmillan
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 28 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 17 min ago
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler