SoCal residents coping with intense heat
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The extreme summer heat was especially intense in the Inland Empire Monday with temperatures hitting the 100 degree mark by 11 a.m.
Officials said cooling centers would be open until Thursday throughout the area but many residents were preparing on their own.
"I'm going to stand in the shade and go to school and stand in the air conditioner," said Billy Lifshin, who was on his way to school Monday morning.
Authorities recommended wearing sunscreen to protect skin from the intense sunshine and keeping plenty of water on hand.
Dr. Robert Steele at Loma Linda University Hospital warned that heat exhaustion and heat stroke were real risks during weather like this.
"The most important piece of treating heat-related illnesses is to prevent heat-related illness," he said.
Some inland residents were taking this advice to heart by cooling off in Mill Creek, a popular stream and nature area in San Bernardino National Forest.
"A girlfriend called me up, she has one more day off before school and it was hot. We decided to come up to the creek and cool off," said Dana Spillane, who drove to Mill Creek from Redlands.
While Monday's heat was severe, it came amid a relatively mild summer with much cooler temperatures felt throughout the previous weeks.
riverside county, san bernardino county, pollution, health, weather, rob mcmillan
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 13 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 7 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 10 min ago
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet 2 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks