SoCal residents coping with intense heat
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The extreme summer heat was especially intense in the Inland Empire Monday with temperatures hitting the 100 degree mark by 11 a.m.
Officials said cooling centers would be open until Thursday throughout the area but many residents were preparing on their own.
"I'm going to stand in the shade and go to school and stand in the air conditioner," said Billy Lifshin, who was on his way to school Monday morning.
Authorities recommended wearing sunscreen to protect skin from the intense sunshine and keeping plenty of water on hand.
Dr. Robert Steele at Loma Linda University Hospital warned that heat exhaustion and heat stroke were real risks during weather like this.
"The most important piece of treating heat-related illnesses is to prevent heat-related illness," he said.
Some inland residents were taking this advice to heart by cooling off in Mill Creek, a popular stream and nature area in San Bernardino National Forest.
"A girlfriend called me up, she has one more day off before school and it was hot. We decided to come up to the creek and cool off," said Dana Spillane, who drove to Mill Creek from Redlands.
While Monday's heat was severe, it came amid a relatively mild summer with much cooler temperatures felt throughout the previous weeks.
riverside county, san bernardino county, pollution, health, weather, rob mcmillan
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 30 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)