Surfer killed as powerful waves pound Calif.
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Powerful waves continued to pound beaches across California over the Labor Day weekend and may have killed a surfer.
Russ Yamada, 42, of Torrance, was found unresponsive in the ocean off San Onofre State Beach near his surfboard Saturday afternoon. He was taken to Saddleback Memorial Medical Center in San Clemente where he was pronounced dead.
Garrett Yanai, who was with Yamada at the time, didn't know what had happened to his friend of 25 years until he was out of the water.
"I had seen a surfboard up on the lifeguard tower. I went over to find out what was going on and they told me they had some bad news for me, that he had been found in the water and was unconscious," Yanai said.
Yanai said Yamada was a highly-experienced surfer and a strong swimmer.
"My best guess is that his board hit him on the head and I guess maybe knocked him unconscious," Yanai said.
"He's just everything I want to see in a human being," Yanai said as he held back tears. "If I have kids one day, I just hope they have a little Russ in them."
The National Weather Service lifted the high surf advisories. It had warned that 6-to 8-foot waves with occasional 10-foot sets would hit the coast from San Francisco to San Diego. Conditions remain dangerous because of rip currents.
The surf has created dangerous swimming conditions over the holiday weekend. More than two dozen people have been rescued at Southern California beaches over the last two days.
The rough surf was caused by the swell from a powerful storm in New Zealand, where it is winter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
beach, surf, weather, amy powell
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 16 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever 50 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour