Fire danger still high due to Santa Ana winds
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The weekend's windy, warm and dry conditions are raising the threat of dangerous wildfires across the Southland.
A red flag warning and wind advisory were in effect through early Saturday morning for L.A., Ventura and Orange counties and the Inland Empire. All of the warnings and advisories expired at about 9 a.m. or 10 a.m.
Fire crews are ready with extra staff and are prepared to respond quickly if a wildfire breaks out.
January has been an unseasonably hot month for most of Southern California. Sunday, temperatures are expected to reach 76 in the Los Angeles-Metro area, 80 for the Valleys and Inland Empire and 56 for the local mountain areas.
Though the warmer conditions are perfect for outdoor activities like picnics and barbecues, fire officials are warning residents to take extra precaution when lighting fires outside.
Temperatures will reach 77 in downtown Los Angeles and valleys, 70 in the beaches, 56 in the mountains and 77 for the deserts.
The summer-like temps had many people flocking to the Huntington Beach Sunday.
"Right now the average temperature where we live is probably about 25 degrees for a high, maybe 35 for a high, and can go down to the low-teens for a low," said Janet Zuelke from Sisters, Ore. "Typical for January, usually snowing or ice-raining kind of thing." Zuelke said she is enjoying the warm weather but reluctantly heading back home on Monday.
Saturday saw record-breaking temperatures in Santa Ana near John Wayne Airport, reaching 82 degrees. The previous record was set last year at 73 degrees.
storm, weather, darsha philips
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 5 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
10 min ago