Fire danger still high due to Santa Ana winds
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The weekend's windy, warm and dry conditions are raising the threat of dangerous wildfires across the Southland.
A red flag warning and wind advisory were in effect through early Saturday morning for L.A., Ventura and Orange counties and the Inland Empire. All of the warnings and advisories expired at about 9 a.m. or 10 a.m.
Fire crews are ready with extra staff and are prepared to respond quickly if a wildfire breaks out.
January has been an unseasonably hot month for most of Southern California. Sunday, temperatures are expected to reach 76 in the Los Angeles-Metro area, 80 for the Valleys and Inland Empire and 56 for the local mountain areas.
Though the warmer conditions are perfect for outdoor activities like picnics and barbecues, fire officials are warning residents to take extra precaution when lighting fires outside.
Temperatures will reach 77 in downtown Los Angeles and valleys, 70 in the beaches, 56 in the mountains and 77 for the deserts.
The summer-like temps had many people flocking to the Huntington Beach Sunday.
"Right now the average temperature where we live is probably about 25 degrees for a high, maybe 35 for a high, and can go down to the low-teens for a low," said Janet Zuelke from Sisters, Ore. "Typical for January, usually snowing or ice-raining kind of thing." Zuelke said she is enjoying the warm weather but reluctantly heading back home on Monday.
Saturday saw record-breaking temperatures in Santa Ana near John Wayne Airport, reaching 82 degrees. The previous record was set last year at 73 degrees.
storm, weather, darsha philips
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
58 min ago
- Beverly Hills 9OH2O luxury water put to test
20 min ago