Cold winter storm pushes through Southern California
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pea-sized hail pelted Old Town Pasadena late Monday morning, as a cold, fast-moving storm made its way through southern California.
It seemed people were not prepared for the change in weather, as many sported shorts and flip flops around town.
"I don't know anymore, I don't understand what's going on in L.A.," said Boutheyna Keller. "I came from Paris, so I'm expecting the sun every day. This is like Paris weather," she said.
But for others, the rain was almost laughable.
"What, it's cold and wet, is this a big deal?" said Julie Porter Seattle, Wash., adding she thought it was "hilarious" that the rain was such a big deal.
Meanwhile, snowfall shut down the Grapevine Monday afternoon. Snowfall was expected at elevations above 2,000 feet- elevations above 3,500 feet could see around 6 inches of snow. Drivers are advised to have chains.
Santa Clarita also got a blanket of rain and saw a sharp drop in temperatures. Hail did make an appearance but it didn't last long and gave way to low clouds that hung in the skies.
While some were put off by the cold, others welcomed it.
"Well with California, you never know. But it's great though I like it out here, you can't beat it. I know they're hating us back East!" said Ken Miller of Palmdale.
Orange County was not immune to the storm either. A cold rain dropped down in Seal Beach just after the lunch hour, bring winds with it. Gusts reached up to 25 miles per hour in some areas.
A winter weather advisory was set until 10 p.m. Monday for Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains. There were also wind advisories in the San Bernardino and Riverside Counties until 10 p.m.
storm, rain, weather
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 29 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 20 min ago