Cold, howling winds blow through Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- High surf and high wind advisories were in place for local beaches and deserts Sunday after light rain soaked the Southland on Saturday night.
Dangerous surf and rip currents were predicted to hit L.A., Orange and Ventura county beaches with rare swells of up to 20 feet.
In some areas of the Southland, gusts of up to 50 mph blew through some areas of the Southland. Winds picked up Sunday morning in Seal Beach, where waves were expected to be between 9 and 15 feet by mid-morning. In Surfside, waves were anticipated to reach 20 feet.
Seal Beach city officials did have sandbags ready for residents at life guard headquarters in case of flooding. Officials said there was a chance that water could reach portions of the boardwalk.
Swimmers and surfers were advised to stay near parts of the ocean where life guards could see them, as large divots created by the waves could create undercurrents that pull swimmers away.
Antelope Valley residents braced for gusty nighttime winds of up to 50 mph, while daytime winds between 25 to 35 mph were anticipated the Inland Empire.
Residual moisture hung around Bakersfield Sunday morning after light rain showers hit the LA-area Saturday night. The moisture contributed to dangerous road conditions in Long Beach where a motorcyclist was struck and killed in Long Beach near a traffic circle. Witnesses said a white pick-up truck fishtailed across Pacific Coast Highway.
storm, surf, weather
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison 1 min ago
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 17 min ago
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
27 min ago