Wild weather causes falling trees, river rescues, water spouts in OC
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- The powerful storm brought falling trees, river rescues and water spouts to Orange County on Friday.
The wild weather knocked over a tree into an apartment building in Fountain Valley as resident Kevin Heng was on his computer. The tree shattered his window, sending glass and water everywhere.
"It was very loud, I thought it was like an earthquake or something because the house was shaking a little," he said.
High winds also knocked over a tree in Tustin, which hit into power lines and damaged a home.
A Los Alamitos police officer's dash cam captured a dramatic rescue as the officer and bystanders and jumped over a fence to help a man trapped in the river.
The group was able to slowly pulled the freezing, frightened man out.
"The guy was telling us he couldn't hold on anymore, he just couldn't do it," said Cypress Police Officer Paulo Morales.
The 46-year-old homeless man was taken on a stretcher to the hospital and is expected to survive.
Four construction workers who got stuck a flooded truck near the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine are also expected to survive.
Meanwhile, Fire officials confirmed a waterspout touched down one mile south of San Clemente, but dissipated. It touched down just before 3 p.m.
No matter how much some tried to shield themselves, it was hard not to get soaked. One woman was seen walking backwards with a stroller, trying to keep the rain from her child.
"When I got here, it's been pouring every way. Right now, I really wish I brought something else," said Hayden Nolan of Chino Hills, who was wearing only a T-shirt.
The Huntington Beach Pier is normally busy during Spring Break, but the powerful storm kept many indoors. The rain was driven by strong winds, including gusts of more than 30 miles an hour.
Thunderstorms hit parts of Orange County, and the heavy downpours caused some minor flooding.
storm, rain, weather
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate