Summer-like heat grips Southern California
ENCINO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Summer-like temperatures are hitting Southern California, and the heat has outdoor lovers keeping their sunscreen handy.
At an off-leash dog park in Encino Saturday morning, dog owners were up early to exercise their pets before the mercury climbs higher later in the day.
The highs in the San Fernando Valley are expected to be in the 80s, which is a slight dip from Friday, when the temps soared into the 90s.
After a quick a.m. frolic in the dog park, pet owners said they planned on spending the rest of the day indoors with the air conditioner cranked up.
Friday's summer-like heat kept some people from coming to the park.
"It was sweltering. I went outside at probably noon, and it was so humid, so sweltering that I decided if they're going to get some exercise, it better be early in the morning," said one pet owner.
In Woodland Hills, L.A. Street Services workers are repaving Canoga Avenue. They began at 4 a.m. and will continue until 5 p.m. The asphalt is poured at 280 degrees, and the temperature near the machinery can reach between 130 and 150 degrees. However, as long as they're well-hydrated, crews say they can tolerate the heat.
It was just one week ago that snow fell in the San Bernardino Mountains, but with this hot weather it's not expected to last.
Soaring temperatures are also making a difference at weekend No. 2 at the Coachella Music Festival. Many concert-goers, however, say they prefer the sun over the rain.
Those looking to beat the heat Friday hit the coast. Even though it was in the 90s inland, at the beach there was fog and temperatures were 40 degrees cooler.
storm, rain, snow, weather
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 47 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 6 min ago
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
38 min ago