Memorial Day weekend starts off chilly, windy
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Memorial Day weekend started off a bit cold and windy as most temps around the Southland registered in the 60s Saturday.
"I was hoping it was going to be at least high 70s, low 80s so we can be out here in our swimsuits, but it's just a little breezy, so I had to bring my little sweater," said Kendra Vinson, who was in Santa Monica visiting from North Carolina.
Rough and possibly dangerous water conditions may put a damper on beachgoers as well.
If you're planning on braving the cold and venturing out into the water, emergency officials say you should be aware of strong rip currents. They are advising people to swim where a lifeguard tower is visible.
If you're caught in a rip current, swim along the shore until you're free of the current. Then, make your way back to shore.
In Big Bear, the temperature dipped to 28 degrees and the ski resort got a good dusting of snow.
holiday, beach, weather
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 32 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 54 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 15 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 5 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 59 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break