Los Angeles in for major climate change - UCLA report
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Global Warming is an issue controversial to some and undeniable to others.
To learn how it could affect Los Angeles, city officials commissioned a climate change study by UCLA researchers. The results of that study predict a significant and dangerous rise in temperatures across the Southland.
"We see two to six times as many extremely hot days by midcentury. But because of the influence of the region's mountains, the most significant warmings will be in the valleys and inland areas," said UCLA climate change expert Professor Alex Hall.
UCLA researchers say it took two years to compile their study, including eight months of number crunching on a state of the art super-computer. What they came up with are forecasts so precise that they differ from neighborhood to neighborhood.
"So instead of making climate change projections for the arctic, we're giving them for Atwater Village. Rather than examining climate change impacts on the polar bear, we're looking at how climate change affects people in Palms," said Hall.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said city leaders have already made significant changes to reduce the impact of climate change. From increased mass transportation options, to improving emissions from ships and trucks at the port.
And even though the predicted temperature jumps are still more than 30 years away, the mayor says the time for action is now.
"We have to prepare L.A. for the realities of a climate that will be hotter and drier, a climate with rising sea levels and more intense storms," said Villaraigosa.
It's a forecast that some may question, but with its predictions of drought, extreme weather and deadly heat waves, it's a forecast no one looks forward to.
weather, rob hayes
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 31 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
55 min ago