Red-flag warning across Southern California; firefighters on alert
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Firefighters are on alert on Thursday due to a threat of wildfires. A red-flag warning has been issued for the mountain areas in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.
Even with the clouds hiding the sun, temperatures in Palmdale were closing in on the 100-degree mark. The desert heat may not be new to residents, but it's still not comfortable. But discomfort isn't the only concern. The heat wave is drying out the vegetation in the Antelope Valley, and that has firefighters worried.
A red-flag warning takes effect at noon and will run until 9 p.m., and there's a possibility of dry lightning."We don't have any rain or anything that's going to basically wet everything down," said Capt. John Ahten of the L.A. County Fire Department.
Ahten urged the public to cooperate and be mindful of camp fires and where cigarettes are thrown.
There's also an increased chance of thunderstorms due to monsoonal moisture inching our way in our mountains and deserts. Flash-flood watches will be in effect from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. for the Apple and Lucerne Valleys.
Authorities reminded people who have to be outside to drink plenty of water, find shade and avoid strenuous activities.
Cooling center locations have been established throughout L.A. and San Bernardino counties. See a list of locations here, or dial 211 to find a cooling center near you.
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge 57 min ago
- London attack: Suspect's friend questioned
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy 35 min ago
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Will Smith reunites with 'Fresh Prince' stars 22 min ago