Inland Empire sees wacky summer weather
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Inland Empire got a host of wild weather Friday, including short-lived showers with lightning, thunder and humidity. Flood watches were also issued.
Storm cells and humidity had moved out of the Cajon Pass by late Friday afternoon after pounding the area for most of the day.
The rain came down over the Cajon Pass early Friday, affecting the morning commute. Then another cell hit in the afternoon that started in Wrightwood and made its way northeast. It caused flooding just north of the Oak Hill turn off. The water on the I-15 Freeway slowed traffic in both directions.
"First it was light rain then thunder then it started to hail really heavy," said Raul Martinez, who pulled over because of the storm. He said conditions lasted for about 20 minutes, and that he could see lightning from Hesperia.
A flash-flood warning had been issued in San Bernardino early Friday morning, with cells pushing over an area west of Forest Hills and near Big Bear Lake. That warning has since expired.
Flash-flood warnings were also in effect over most of Southern California including Ventura and Los Angeles county mountains, Riverside and L.A. county valleys and the coastal areas and the Antelope Valley. The warnings were set to expire around 11 p.m. due to the possibility of monsoonal thunderstorms.
Rain also hit Fontana and Hesperia as well as Burbank Thursday night, but the CHP did not report any major accidents overnight.
Across the Southland, conditions remained hot and humid with temps expected to reach the 80s for Los Angeles and Orange counties, 90s for the Inland Empire and valleys, mid 70s for the local mountains and mid 90s for the high desert areas.
Cooling center locations have been established throughout L.A. and San Bernardino counties. See a list of locations here, or dial 211 to find a cooling center near you.
rain, storm, weather
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 7 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 36 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 39 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 10 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 57 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 50 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis