Man killed by lightning at NASCAR race as eastern U.S. hit with storms
LONG POND, Pa. (KABC) -- At least one person was killed and several others were injured during a NASCAR event Sunday as severe summer storms hit the eastern U.S.
It was shortly after 5 p.m. when warnings went out over a public address system and social media for people at Pocono Raceway to take cover. That's when eight people were struck by lightning in the grandstand parking lot and two others were struck in a camping area. One of the victims was 41-year-old Brian Zimmerman, who died at the scene. Another person was listed in critical condition.
Officials say they are unsure if there were multiple strikes or if all 10 people were hit by a single bolt of lightning. A severe storm warning had been issued at the track about 45 minutes before, and it has left some wondering why the race wasn't called earlier.
The storm was part of a line of severe overnight weather that caused flash flooding from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania. Severe winds, hail and hundreds of lightning strikes plagued states along the east coast, including a strike at a children's baseball facility in New Hampshire.
In Pittsburg, over an inch of rain fell in a matter of minutes, nearly washing away a woman in her truck.
In New Jersey, severe winds knocked over trees and tents, while lightning strikes took down power lines and left about half the town of Edgewater without power.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
storm, weather, john gregory
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 24 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 56 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 40 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 53 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
41 min ago