Man killed by lightning at NASCAR race as eastern U.S. hit with storms
LONG POND, Pa. (KABC) -- At least one person was killed and several others were injured during a NASCAR event Sunday as severe summer storms hit the eastern U.S.
It was shortly after 5 p.m. when warnings went out over a public address system and social media for people at Pocono Raceway to take cover. That's when eight people were struck by lightning in the grandstand parking lot and two others were struck in a camping area. One of the victims was 41-year-old Brian Zimmerman, who died at the scene. Another person was listed in critical condition.
Officials say they are unsure if there were multiple strikes or if all 10 people were hit by a single bolt of lightning. A severe storm warning had been issued at the track about 45 minutes before, and it has left some wondering why the race wasn't called earlier.
The storm was part of a line of severe overnight weather that caused flash flooding from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania. Severe winds, hail and hundreds of lightning strikes plagued states along the east coast, including a strike at a children's baseball facility in New Hampshire.
In Pittsburg, over an inch of rain fell in a matter of minutes, nearly washing away a woman in her truck.
In New Jersey, severe winds knocked over trees and tents, while lightning strikes took down power lines and left about half the town of Edgewater without power.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
storm, weather, john gregory
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 21 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker 12 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 11 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers) 40 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
32 min ago