Man killed by lightning at NASCAR race as eastern U.S. hit with storms
LONG POND, Pa. (KABC) -- At least one person was killed and several others were injured during a NASCAR event Sunday as severe summer storms hit the eastern U.S.
It was shortly after 5 p.m. when warnings went out over a public address system and social media for people at Pocono Raceway to take cover. That's when eight people were struck by lightning in the grandstand parking lot and two others were struck in a camping area. One of the victims was 41-year-old Brian Zimmerman, who died at the scene. Another person was listed in critical condition.
Officials say they are unsure if there were multiple strikes or if all 10 people were hit by a single bolt of lightning. A severe storm warning had been issued at the track about 45 minutes before, and it has left some wondering why the race wasn't called earlier.
The storm was part of a line of severe overnight weather that caused flash flooding from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania. Severe winds, hail and hundreds of lightning strikes plagued states along the east coast, including a strike at a children's baseball facility in New Hampshire.
In Pittsburg, over an inch of rain fell in a matter of minutes, nearly washing away a woman in her truck.
In New Jersey, severe winds knocked over trees and tents, while lightning strikes took down power lines and left about half the town of Edgewater without power.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
storm, weather, john gregory
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 8 min ago
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims