Wild weather creates mess in Southern California
FOREST FALLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A series of bizarre weather events hit Southern California on Thursday, causing a brush fire in the San Gabriel Valley and flooding in the Inland Empire.
Rain and lightning strikes hit from Sierra Madre to Whittier. Around 4:00 p.m., crews responded to a small fire sparked by lightning near Cadbury Road and Norino Drive in Whittier. The fire burned less than half an acre. There were no reports of inujuries or homes burned in the fire, although one home received smoke and water damage and two cars were destroyed.
Rain also began to fall in Glendale, Burbank, North Hollywood and Toluca Lake around 5 p.m.
A cell of lightning and rain also moved through Mentone in the Inland Empire, drenching the area and causing flooding around Highway 38. Drivers were extra careful to avoid debris flow in the road. Resident Jim Kirk said the heavy rain washed away portion of a new driveway he is in the process of constructing.
"It sounded like rumbling, like an earthquake," he said, describing the flooding.
Roads throughout Moreno Valley were heavily impacted by flooding. Streets near Cactus Avenue and Hazeltine Way by the Moreno Valley Ranch Golf Club were filled with mud and water, and some traffic signals were out near Oliver Street. A police cruiser had to be towed off road after encountering issues in the flood, and residential streets in nearby neighborhoods were also affected.
Elsewhere in Moreno Valley, reports surfaced of a home on Campbell Avenue that saw 6 inches of flooding in the living room. Major flooding in parking lot near a Wal-Mart was also noted.
An Eyewitness News viewer also captured pea-sized hail on tape as it pelted Big Bear earlier in the day.
Nearly two weeks ago, Forest Falls was hit with a mudslide in Mill Creek that carried away considerable amounts of debris. Parts of Victorville also saw major flooding in the streets, and a powerful cell of wind and rain was captured on video in Apple Valley.
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 56 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 5 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 7 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 26 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...