Wild weather creates mess in Southern California
FOREST FALLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A series of bizarre weather events hit Southern California on Thursday, causing a brush fire in the San Gabriel Valley and flooding in the Inland Empire.
Rain and lightning strikes hit from Sierra Madre to Whittier. Around 4:00 p.m., crews responded to a small fire sparked by lightning near Cadbury Road and Norino Drive in Whittier. The fire burned less than half an acre. There were no reports of inujuries or homes burned in the fire, although one home received smoke and water damage and two cars were destroyed.
Rain also began to fall in Glendale, Burbank, North Hollywood and Toluca Lake around 5 p.m.
A cell of lightning and rain also moved through Mentone in the Inland Empire, drenching the area and causing flooding around Highway 38. Drivers were extra careful to avoid debris flow in the road. Resident Jim Kirk said the heavy rain washed away portion of a new driveway he is in the process of constructing.
"It sounded like rumbling, like an earthquake," he said, describing the flooding.
Roads throughout Moreno Valley were heavily impacted by flooding. Streets near Cactus Avenue and Hazeltine Way by the Moreno Valley Ranch Golf Club were filled with mud and water, and some traffic signals were out near Oliver Street. A police cruiser had to be towed off road after encountering issues in the flood, and residential streets in nearby neighborhoods were also affected.
Elsewhere in Moreno Valley, reports surfaced of a home on Campbell Avenue that saw 6 inches of flooding in the living room. Major flooding in parking lot near a Wal-Mart was also noted.
An Eyewitness News viewer also captured pea-sized hail on tape as it pelted Big Bear earlier in the day.
Nearly two weeks ago, Forest Falls was hit with a mudslide in Mill Creek that carried away considerable amounts of debris. Parts of Victorville also saw major flooding in the streets, and a powerful cell of wind and rain was captured on video in Apple Valley.
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 41 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
31 min ago