Southland simmering in September heat wave
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A new bout of high heat is baking Southern California with triple digit temps expected in some areas over the weekend.
Fall is just around the corner, but summer temperatures are continuing to linger.
Highs Friday reached into the upper 90s for Los Angeles and Orange counties, low 100s for the Inland Empire, Valleys and the High Desert and upper 70s for the local mountains. Similar temperatures will last through the weekend.
The high heat is one reason Riverside resident Angel Limon chose to take his family to the mall and enjoy the air conditioning.
Limon said he is looking forward to cooler temperatures. But there was no escaping the heat for those in search of a deal at a yard sale held by area resident Diana Bullard. She said she was not concerned about the heat driving way potential customers.
Not everyone is concerned about the heat, especially when compared to other parts of the country.
"I think it's OK because I'm used to it," said Riverside resident Margie Cherry. "I just came back from Iowa about six months ago and the heat there is horrible. This is nothing, so I'd rather be here."
Officials warn that if you are heading outside in the high heat this weekend, try to keep the activity to a minimum, drink plenty of water and wear light clothing.
weather, leticia juarez
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- Kelly Thomas trial: Surveillance video shown
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery 6 min ago
- Best high-tech toys for kids this season
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- Paul Walker crash seen on surveillance video
- Ben Stiller marks prints at TCL Theatre
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video
- TN teacher's social media lesson goes viral
55 min ago
- Sea turtles call local San Gabriel River home
24 min ago