Extreme heat raises Southland fire danger
ARCADIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Hot temperature prompted a red-flag warning Tuesday for parts of Southern California, and fire crews kept a close watch on potential brush fires.
The warning was expected to be in effect from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the mountain areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Temperatures reached the into the triple digits across the Southland.
Crews spent the early morning hours bringing a fire there under control in Lake View Terrace. The blaze broke out just after midnight and charred five to 10 acres on a hillside off Lopez Canyon Road.
It took 82 firefighters and three water-dropping helicopters to put out the flames. Firefighters had to stay on scene to monitor hot spots. No structures were threatened and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
The Los Angeles Fire Department has added extra personnel and equipment to prepare for the high fire danger.
"We staffed 10 additional fire engines because of the extreme weather," said Capt. Jaime Moore of the city fire department. "We're just putting ourselves ready. We're not letting our guard down and we ask that of the people of Los Angeles. Please don't let your guard down. Be aware of the high temperatures and the very dry brush around your homes."
In addition to fire danger, people are reminded of the other threats the heat poses to children, pets and the elderly. On Monday, a mother was arrested in North Hollywood after she left her 1-year-old daughter alone in a car while she went grocery shopping. The child was in the car for about 10 minutes with a vent blowing before rescue crews arrived. The mother was charged with child endangerment.
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill