Extreme heat raises Southland fire danger
ARCADIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Hot temperature prompted a red-flag warning Tuesday for parts of Southern California, and fire crews kept a close watch on potential brush fires.
The warning was expected to be in effect from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the mountain areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Temperatures reached the into the triple digits across the Southland.
Crews spent the early morning hours bringing a fire there under control in Lake View Terrace. The blaze broke out just after midnight and charred five to 10 acres on a hillside off Lopez Canyon Road.
It took 82 firefighters and three water-dropping helicopters to put out the flames. Firefighters had to stay on scene to monitor hot spots. No structures were threatened and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
The Los Angeles Fire Department has added extra personnel and equipment to prepare for the high fire danger.
"We staffed 10 additional fire engines because of the extreme weather," said Capt. Jaime Moore of the city fire department. "We're just putting ourselves ready. We're not letting our guard down and we ask that of the people of Los Angeles. Please don't let your guard down. Be aware of the high temperatures and the very dry brush around your homes."
In addition to fire danger, people are reminded of the other threats the heat poses to children, pets and the elderly. On Monday, a mother was arrested in North Hollywood after she left her 1-year-old daughter alone in a car while she went grocery shopping. The child was in the car for about 10 minutes with a vent blowing before rescue crews arrived. The mother was charged with child endangerment.
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 5 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 44 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere