Extreme heat raises Southland fire danger
ARCADIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Hot temperature prompted a red-flag warning Tuesday for parts of Southern California, and fire crews kept a close watch on potential brush fires.
The warning was expected to be in effect from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the mountain areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Temperatures reached the into the triple digits across the Southland.
Crews spent the early morning hours bringing a fire there under control in Lake View Terrace. The blaze broke out just after midnight and charred five to 10 acres on a hillside off Lopez Canyon Road.
It took 82 firefighters and three water-dropping helicopters to put out the flames. Firefighters had to stay on scene to monitor hot spots. No structures were threatened and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
The Los Angeles Fire Department has added extra personnel and equipment to prepare for the high fire danger.
"We staffed 10 additional fire engines because of the extreme weather," said Capt. Jaime Moore of the city fire department. "We're just putting ourselves ready. We're not letting our guard down and we ask that of the people of Los Angeles. Please don't let your guard down. Be aware of the high temperatures and the very dry brush around your homes."
In addition to fire danger, people are reminded of the other threats the heat poses to children, pets and the elderly. On Monday, a mother was arrested in North Hollywood after she left her 1-year-old daughter alone in a car while she went grocery shopping. The child was in the car for about 10 minutes with a vent blowing before rescue crews arrived. The mother was charged with child endangerment.
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 20 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 9 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts