Flights to NYC, NJ canceled due to storm
NEW YORK (KABC) -- New York and New Jersey residents, still reeling from Superstorm Sandy, were warned Wednesday to prepare for more evacuations as a nor'easter approaches.
In New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered police to use their patrol car loudspeakers to warn vulnerable residents about evacuating, even as forecasters said Wednesday's storm could be weaker than expected.
Atlantic County, in the southern part of New Jersey, activated its emergency operations center and told residents to restock their emergency supplies.
Storm surges along the coasts of New Jersey and New York were expected to reach perhaps 3 feet, only half to a third of what Hurricane Sandy caused last week. While that should produce only minor flooding, it will still likely cause some erosion problems along the Jersey coast and the shores of Long Island, where Sandy destroyed some protective dunes.
Some airlines announced they're canceling flights into and out of the Northeast ahead of this next storm. This comes a week after 20,000 flights were canceled because of Superstorm Sandy.
More than 1,300 U.S. flights were canceled Wednesday, according to FlightStats.com. United grounded about 500 flights starting at 3 p.m. ET out of the New York area's three major airports.
Twenty-one flights out of Los Angeles International Airport to John F. Kennedy and Newark airports were scrapped, leaving some travelers stranded in the terminal all day. Many airlines are allowing travelers to change their plans without penalty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
superstorm sandy, storm, hurricane, tropical storm, flooding, election, weather
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 51 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 54 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM 53 min ago
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus is MTV's Artist of the Year 13 min ago