Superstorm Sandy: 50K still without power
NEW YORK (KABC) -- More than two weeks after Superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast, power is still out to some 50,000 people.
A group of Long Island residents filed a class-action lawsuit against the Long Island Power Authority over its response to the storm.
Amid the growing backlash, LIPA's acting chief executive announced plans to retire at the end of the year. The utility announced Michael Hervey's pending resignation on Tuesday.
Relief efforts are still under way. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $127 million in individual assistance in New Jersey in the two weeks since the storm hit.
Also, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced seven new disaster-relief centers opening in hard-hit areas of New York City, including Queens' Rockaway section, Staten Island and Brooklyn's Coney Island. They'll offer assistance to those still lacking power, heat and hot water and will help people applying for emergency aid and seeking advice on repairs.
Meantime, the Dave Matthews Band announced plans to donate $1 million to the relief efforts. The band will also use its Nov. 30 show in New Jersey as a benefit concert.
Sandy killed more than 100 people in 10 states, with most of the victims in New York and New Jersey.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
superstorm sandy, storm, hurricane, tropical storm, flooding, election, weather
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 51 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 2 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks