Superstorm Sandy: 50K still without power
NEW YORK (KABC) -- More than two weeks after Superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast, power is still out to some 50,000 people.
A group of Long Island residents filed a class-action lawsuit against the Long Island Power Authority over its response to the storm.
Amid the growing backlash, LIPA's acting chief executive announced plans to retire at the end of the year. The utility announced Michael Hervey's pending resignation on Tuesday.
Relief efforts are still under way. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $127 million in individual assistance in New Jersey in the two weeks since the storm hit.
Also, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced seven new disaster-relief centers opening in hard-hit areas of New York City, including Queens' Rockaway section, Staten Island and Brooklyn's Coney Island. They'll offer assistance to those still lacking power, heat and hot water and will help people applying for emergency aid and seeking advice on repairs.
Meantime, the Dave Matthews Band announced plans to donate $1 million to the relief efforts. The band will also use its Nov. 30 show in New Jersey as a benefit concert.
Sandy killed more than 100 people in 10 states, with most of the victims in New York and New Jersey.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
superstorm sandy, storm, hurricane, tropical storm, flooding, election, weather
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- 4 stabbed in parking lot after Broncos game
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son