Rain departs from Southern California, gives roads reprieve
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A storm system has cleared out, but not before it could cause a slew of problems for Southern Californians on Monday.
According to the California Highway Patrol, between midnight and 8 a.m. Monday they responded to 106 traffic accidents in Los Angeles County.
One of those accidents happened in Pasadena, when a big rig hauling two trailers jackknifed around 2 a.m. and went off an embankment where the 134, 210 and 110 freeways meet. The driver did not sustain any injuries and his truck was not carrying any hazardous materials. Officials said speed and rain contributed to the crash.
In Orange County, a traffic mess was created by another jackknifed big rig after it spilled its load of gravel on the westbound 91 Freeway to the 57 Freeway connector in Anaheim. Traffic was backed up for miles until crews cleared the road.
Residents in one Silver Lake neighborhood were wondering if the rain had anything to do with a tree falling over. It crushed a couple of vehicles and damaged a vacant house.
According to neighbors it happened around 9 p.m. Sunday.
"I heard some big noise, I thought it was a building falling," said Raul Ugarte.
Michaela Meyers, the owner of a black car that was crushed by the tree, says she couldn't believe what she woke up to.
"I am an aspiring comedian, I have no money, and my car has been cut in half by a tree," she said. She also says this will give her some new material for her stand-up act.
By midday, the rain had stopped in Old Town Pasadena. It turned out to be a spectacular day but some people said they were hoping for a little more rain.
"I want a little more rain," said Alan Clutario of Santa Clarita. "It's been a while and I think we need it. Change is good."
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct 4 min ago
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 36 min ago
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled 51 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet